Speed your local network
If you use LabCollector on a local network, we recommend modifying the “hosts” file. The hosts file is located in a few different places depending on your operating system:
- Windows 95/98 : c:\windows\
- Windows NT/2000 : c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\
- Windows XP/Vista/7/8 : c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
- Linux : /etc/hosts
- Mac OS X : /etc/hosts
The « hosts » file does not have an extension like the other files. You can open it with Notepad, WordPad or many other programs designated as text editors.
In some case (Windows), to edit the hosts file you need to change the permissions:
– Right click on the hosts file and select “Properties”.
– Click the security tab.
– Highlight your user account in the list.
– Press the edit button.
– Select (place a check in) Full control.
– Press ok in the various dialogue boxes to confirm changes.
Copy and paste this (replace computer name by yours):
127.0.0.1 COMPUTER NAME
And save modifications.