6th step: Create a test in the LSM
When starting LSM usage, it is essential to start with customization steps. You need to create your customers, results parameters, assays catalog and more. These items interact with each other in multiple ways, therefore the order of steps for the initial setup is important.
Some portions of the LSM cannot be customized without first setting up others.
- For the creation of users and requesters, please read the KB-1st step Create users/ requesters.
- To manage reagents and equipment, please read the KB-2nd step Create reagents/equipments.
- To create parameters and other linked data, please refer to KB-Create test parameters and KB-create protocols & sample types, respectively.
- To create the result and invoice template, please read the KB-Results & invoice template.
Completing this step requires admin or super-admin level permissions.
Now all information is available to create or edit a test.
Navigate to Admin > Preferences > Tests.
Click on Add and complete the form.
- Name: Name of the test/assay
- Test Code: Code for the test/assay
- Category: The test may be assigned to a category – useful if groups of tests are regularly performed together. This will appear as an option in both the LSM and LSMRemote.
- Sample Type: Choose the sample types associated with the test. When adding tests to a sample the ones that are associated with the sample type will appear at the top of the list.
- Description: Description of the test/assay
- Result type: see below
- Default operator: Preferred person to conduct the assay. It can be a single person or a team. This operator or team will see their jobs in the job board, dashboard, and calendar if another selection is not made.
- Default Hours: Default time expected to conduct the assay. Connects to dashboards for reporting and calendar.
- Results template: Template for reporting as final results report. Select the name from a dropdown.
- Processing template: A second template type for results. It could be used for a report of processing parameters.
Three types of results are available:
– Results: Insert selected result fields defined in the dictionary (see below). The results from parameters selected as test/assay level will appear as results in the report
– Sample: The result when doing the job is the creation of a new sample for another analysis. This can iteratively create samples for the same test/assay from which the sample was created.
– File: Import a result file made as a result of doing the job multiple files may be combined in a zipped file. The file will be available for download via the LSM and the LSM Remote when the job is completed.
Note that in this example, we will skip the input parameters, we will use reagents and supplies, protocol and result parameter tabs.
Note that the result type selected here is only “Results” indicating that a report will be generated (see above).
Enter values (auto-complete) in the different fields (parameter, default values, unit, ranges, phrase…) then click on + button to validate.
If you want to delete one parameter, click on the – button.
Phrases can be assigned to auto-populate based on the range of the result.
Finally, save when done.
At this point, the test is ready to use.