How to add a new category and record in equipment module? (v6.0)
Equipment module allows you to add all the information regarding any equipment in your lab.
For v5.4 & below check this KB.
You can even upload files related to the equipment, serial number, maintenance, alerts for maintenance, etc.
To add a record in the equipment category you need to follow the below-explained process.
To add a record in the equipment module you need to follow the below process:-
1. Adding equipment category
2. Adding equipment records
1. Adding equipment category
Before entering the equipment details you need to set up categories for the equipment. This is useful as labs can contain several types of equipment belonging to the same category. For example, you can have a PCR category and there can be several instruments that will fall in this category such as different types of qPCR/RT PCR machines from different companies, etc. Similarly, you can have Centrifuge category and in that, there can be tabletop centrifuge, fixed angle, verticle tube, etc. Hence, defining categories becomes important to place an instrument in respective categories.
Some setup features described in this post are only available to super-admin and admin-level users
There are 2 ways by which you can add the equipment category.
1. To do so, go Preferences–> Equipment options–>Equipment Categories
You can add the category name next to the sign and then click on to upload the category name in the list.
Note: Only categories that have been not used in any records will show the delete button . Categories that are being used in LabCollector will be locked and thus cannot be deleted.
2. You can also add an equipment category in the Equipment module itself by using the “Add category” option. (More explanation below.)
2. Adding equipment record
You can add all the relevant information about the equipment in an equipment module by adding the new record.
You can also import equipment list if you already have one by going to Admin–>Data–>Import. Check our KB to see how to import samples and their storage.
To do so you need to go to LabCollector & click on Equipment module .
Click on option.
- A new page will pop-up like below, where you can insert all the information regarding the equipment module like serial number, date of purchase, maintenance time intervals, etc.
1. You can add the project code that you want for which the equipment will be used. you can add project codes by going to Tools–>manage project codes.
2. You can add the name of the equipment that you want. If later on, you want to edit the name of the equipment you can click on icon and edit the name of the equipment. You can also add comments for the equipment if you require it. In comments, you can add the handling tips or link to book the equipment. You can add a new custom field (and KB-create custom field 5.2v) to add a link where you can book the equipment.
3. You can add the category to the equipment which you created in section 1 above. If the category you want does not exist in the dropdown you can click onand create a new category and save it for your equipment. this new category will now be visible in your category drop-down list. This category will now appear in the dropdown list.
4. You can information regarding the seller, brand, serial number, inventory reference number, and the date of purchase of the equipment.
5. Here you can add the warranty if you have the warranty for the equipment. You can also add the expiry date when the warranty is over. This will create an alert for equipment warranty in the Alerts tab–> Equipment warranty ending in LabCollector.
– Check our KB check more about the equipment warranty alert (Section C).
– If the warranty or contract of the equipment is expired the contract and warranty field will automatically switch to “No” and you will see this icon in front of the fields like below.
6. Here you can add the warranty if you have the warranty for the equipment. You can also add the expiry date when the warranty is over. This will create an alert for equipment warranty in the Alerts tab–> Equipment contract ending in LabCollector.
– Check our KB check more about the equipment Contract alert (Section B).
– If the warranty for the equipment is ended then you will see in front of the contract option.
7. Here you can general maintenance interval, meaning the time period between two intervals. It is in months, but you can add it in days by adding the numbers in decimal like 0.1 or 0.14, etc.
8. Here you can add the location of your equipment in your lab or institute and also the person in charge of the equipment.
9. You can add any relevant documents to the equipment by creating a new custom field (and KB-create custom field 5.2v) where you can upload files. Go to Admin–>Data–>Custom fields–>Equipment–>Maintenance tab.
Once you finish inserting all the information, you can save the record .
- Check our KBs on how to add & edit maintenance to an equipment.
- Read more about how to add an alert to equipment.
- See more on our KB about how to export maintenance reports .
- Read our KB on how to make a control chart for maintenance calibrations.