Import your samples and associated storage in 3 steps
This tutorial is mainly for the first days of LabCollector use when you have to import your previous database in LabCollector. It can be used for all your data with storage, not only samples like in the example.
1st step: Import your samples
For version 5.3 and above, please refer to this KB-import your data 5.3v.
Under Admin > Data > Import, select the Samples module.
Prepare LabCollector database. Before importing data, you have to configure the module you chose creating the fields that you need. See our KB-creating custom field.
For the fields marked with an asterisk* (Select list), values must exactly match options defined in LabCollector.
Some field type cannot be imported, for example, the type Checkbox. If you want to import data in this type of field, temporarily change the type in Text, import your data, and then change again from Text to Checkbox type. Be careful that your data are well formatted (e.g. identical values)
- Project – if you want to associate your samples to a project
- Type – Mandatory field. Sample types are defined by the super-administrator and administrators in Preferences section.
- Organism – Select the organism relative to your sample. As previously, organism list is defined in Preferences section.
- Main operator/Person in charge – Mandatory field. Information about the person who owns the sample. Important for monitoring and if you have precise safety rules (group for example).
2nd step: Create your storage in batch
After the configuration of the storage system and the creation of facilities and equipment by the super-administrator and the administrators, you can create in batch racks and boxes.
Go to Admin > Storage > Manage Storage > Create New Box or Tools > Storage Browser or go to Tools > Storage Browser.
- Manual settings. Fill the box name prefix, the rack name prefix and the number of racks to generate (depends of the equipment capacity). See the first storage tree: 5 boxes in each of the 5 racks.
- CSV settings. Create your file following the format BOX NAME <> RACK NAME <> POSITION in rack… Below an example of file (tab separator) and the result after importation
3rd step: Import your storage
Now, you have your samples and your boxes in LabCollector, you just need to associate ones with the others.
Under Admin > Storage > Import Storage, select the Samples module.
We recommend choosing Internal LabCollector ID (of your samples) and Box ID to avoid identical name, so format 1.
You can obtain the list of your box IDs under ADMIN > Manage Storage > List existing boxes, under Ref column.
The box ID is also visible in Storage Browser. When you are on a rack, you can see all the boxes in it and their IDs.
Or you can also choose the view box.