How do I customise my DYMO label template tags?
Completing all of the steps described here requires admin or super-admin level permissions.
The DYMO templates are managed in LabCollector in Admin > Setup > Printers and Labels > Dymo Printers.
To make your own template tags follow these steps:
- Download the DYMO software and only use versions up to 8.5.4 (not compatible with 8.6.x) or version 8.7.
- Download the DYMO template tags from the attachments tab in the Storage Accessories DYMO page. Unzip the folder of templates into My Documents>Dymo Label>Labels, for example.
- Open the DYMO software and go to File > Open and navigate to the folder where you unzipped the templates and choose the template with the label size and type that you need. Please keep the label in Portrait orientation.
- Edit/Add the various elements you want in your label – see step 5 for the correct object type (legend A).
- Arrange the various elements as you wish (legend B). Be careful not to change the proportions of image objects (for 2D barcodes) as this can cause corruption of the associated XML file – it’s okay to change the overall size by pulling the image by the bottom right corner but not to stretch one dimension in relation to the other by pulling the sides.
- Select an element on the label and click on Properties (legend C). Switch to the Advanced tab and fill in the Reference Name according to the following rules:
##RNAME## on a TEXT object name to add record name. This is the name or label field.
##RID## on a TEXT object name to add record ID. For example 645/SP.
##RBARCODE1D## on the BARCODE object name for 1D barcode (any type works including QRCode)
##RBARCODE2D## on an IMAGE object name for 2D barcode (type Datamatrix)
##RCOMMENTS## on a TEXT object name adds a comment with extra field and options
##BOXEQUIP## on a TEXT object name adds a comment with extra field and options (only for box labels, gives Storage Equipment name). This tag will add the equipment name that the box is assigned to at the time of label printing. That is, the freezer, shelf, or nitrogen tank name will be inserted. This tag is new to v5.4.
Customizing labels with values from record fields:
- For a custom field use a TEXT object within the DYMO software and for the Reference Name use the following nomenclature ##CustomFieldDatabaseName##.
- You can find the Database Name for your custom field by going to Admin > Data > Custom Fields and clicking on the Database symbol indicated above. The Database Name will be then be displayed. Likewise, for default fields you can do to Admin > Data > Default Fields and follow the same steps.
- For the picture above this would be ##patient_id##.
7. Click OK to save Properties and then save the template with the file extension .label.
8. On LabCollector go to Admin > Setup > Printers and Labels > Dymo Printers.
9. Browse and choose your new template file and click Submit.
10. When you want to print your custom label select this template.